Where Candidates for Congress Stand
U.S. House, West Virginia 1
1. WHAT ARE THE BEST WAYS THAT CONGRESS CAN HELP TO REDUCE THE ENERGY AND WATER CONSUMPTION OF BUILDINGS TO HELP MAKE THEM MORE SUSTAINABLE?
By making structures more economical and environmentally friendly.
2. WHICH SUSTAINABLE BUILDING POLICIES DO YOU SUPPORT AND WOULD WORK TO ENACT IF ELECTED?
a. Set benchmarking requirements for commercial buildings and encourage cities and states to adopt performance-based standards for buildings
b. Provide rebates to homeowners who invest in energy efficiency improvements
c. Provide incentives to states and localities to adopt the most up-to-date energy building codes
d. Renew and expand tax incentives for energy efficient buildings
f. Provide support to states and localities to make buildings more resilient from natural hazards and disasters
g. Invest in the retrofitting of schools, community centers, libraries and other civic buildings to improve occupant safety and reduce energy consumption, especially in underserved communities
h. Conduct research into the most promising technologies, products and materials that improve occupant health and reduce transmission of contagious disease while saving energy
i. Support programs or incentives to accelerate the electrification of buildings.
3. IF ELECTED, WHAT STEPS WILL YOU TAKE TO ENSURE THAT ALL AMERICANS, REGARDLESS OF SOCIOECONOMIC STATUS, ARE ABLE TO BENEFIT FROM HEALTHY AND SUSTAINABLE BUILDINGS?
By providing incentives to states and localities to adopt the most up-to-date energy building codes.
4. IF ELECTED, WHAT STEPS WILL YOU TAKE TO TRAIN AND PREPARE PEOPLE FOR CLEAN ENERGY JOBS THAT ADVANCE SUSTAINABLE BUILDINGS AND BUILDING COMPONENTS?
By investing in the on the job training of our workers to meet the demands our schools, community centers, libraries and other civic buildings that will need to be improved so that occupant safety and reductions in energy consumption, especially in underserved communities are relieved.
5. ARE YOU WILLING TO WORK WITH THE BUILDING SECTOR TO MAKE SURE THAT TRANSFORMING BUILDINGS IS PART OF THE POLICY DEBATE IN CONGRESS, INCLUDING JOINING CAUCUSES THAT ADVOCATE FOR SUSTAINABLE BUILDING POLICIES? IF YES, HOW WILL YOU DO THAT?
Yes. By establishing and maintaining a good relationship with this community of constituents and partnering with like minded representatives in congress I plan to keep abreast of trends and policies needed to ensure healthy buildings and communities.
6. DO YOU HAVE ANY PREVIOUS EXPERIENCES RELATED TO SUSTAINABLE BUILDINGS (E.G., SUPPORTING LEGISLATION IN ELECTED OFFICE, MADE ENERGY EFFICIENCY IMPROVEMENTS TO A HOME, OFFICE, COMMUNITY-WIDE, ETC.)?
When I worked in construction while an undergrad we constructed energy efficient homes and gas stations in my county.
BuildingAction does not endorse candidates in primary or general elections. Nothing in this report should be construed as support or opposition to any candidate. Candidates and parties are listed alphabetically. BuildingAction made every effort to report on candidates’ positions accurately; any mistakes or omissions were inadvertent. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any suggested corrections.)