Where Candidates for Congress Stand
U.S. House, Arizona 4
1. WHAT ARE THE BEST WAYS THAT CONGRESS CAN HELP TO REDUCE THE ENERGY AND WATER CONSUMPTION OF BUILDINGS TO HELP MAKE THEM MORE SUSTAINABLE?
Congress needs to work with clean energy companies to know exactly how to make buildings more sustainable. Many U.S. Representatives do not understand how to hammer a nail in a piece of wood, or frame a building or the R value of a window or different composites of building material or understand water usage or recycle gray-water.
2. WHICH OF THESE SUSTAINABLE BUILDING POLICIES DO YOU SUPPORT AND WOULD WORK TO ENACT IF ELECTED?
b. Provide rebates to homeowners who invest in energy efficiency improvements,
c. Provide incentives to states and localities to adopt the most up-to-date energy building codes,
e. Require federal buildings to meet aggressive energy efficiency and carbon reduction targets,
g. Invest in the retrofitting of schools, community centers, libraries and other civic buildings to improve occupant safety and reduce energy consumption, especially in underserved communities
3. IF ELECTED, WHAT STEPS WILL YOU TAKE TO ENSURE THAT ALL AMERICANS, REGARDLESS OF SOCIOECONOMIC STATUS, ARE ABLE TO BENEFIT FROM HEALTHY AND SUSTAINABLE BUILDINGS?
Incentives and grants to companies to assist low-income communities .
4. IF ELECTED, WHAT STEPS WILL YOU TAKE TO TRAIN AND PREPARE PEOPLE FOR CLEAN ENERGY JOBS THAT ADVANCE SUSTAINABLE BUILDINGS AND BUILDING COMPONENTS?
We need to invest federally and privately to train and retrain laborers and provide apprenticeship positions. We also need to partner with community colleges and universities to ensure sustainable and clean energy programs are available.
5. ARE YOU WILLING TO WORK WITH THE BUILDING SECTOR TO MAKE SURE THAT TRANSFORMING BUILDINGS IS PART OF THE POLICY DEBATE IN CONGRESS, INCLUDING JOINING CAUCUSES THAT ADVOCATE FOR SUSTAINABLE BUILDING POLICIES? IF YES, HOW WILL YOU DO THAT?
Yes, by making sure the building sector has access to my office, has a contact they can sit with who understands the goals and set up meetings to collaborate a direction to move on legislation.
6. DO YOU HAVE ANY PREVIOUS EXPERIENCES RELATED TO SUSTAINABLE BUILDINGS (E.G., SUPPORTING LEGISLATION IN ELECTED OFFICE, MADE ENERGY EFFICIENCY IMPROVEMENTS TO A HOME, OFFICE, COMMUNITY-WIDE, ETC.)?
Yes. I have been in the building business for 37 years with my husband. We were builders and developers.
BuildingAction does not endorse candidates in primary or general elections. Nothing in this report should be construed as support or opposition to any candidate. Candidates and parties are listed alphabetically. BuildingAction made every effort to report on candidates’ positions accurately; any mistakes or omissions were inadvertent. Please email with any suggested corrections.)